News|Entertainment| Lifestyle| Events| Fashion| Beauty| Inspiration| Sport| Travel

Thursday, 11 October 2018

Ebola death toll currently on the rise in DR Congo

 Provided by AFP Health workers burn medical waste generated during care of Ebola patients near the eastern city of Beni some three weeks into the latest outbreak. Since then, the death toll has almost doubled to 118

The death toll from an Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 118, authorities have said, with three children among the recent victims.
The outbreak was first detected on August 1, with the health ministry confirming the latest toll on Tuesday and saying seven new cases had been confirmed, six of them in Beni, not far from the Ugandan border.
More than 15,000 people have now been vaccinated against the virus, it said.
This latest outbreak -- the 10th in DR Congo since Ebola was first detected there in 1976 -- emerged in a highly-restive northeastern region home to a clutch of armed groups which lies near the border with Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan.
The authorities in Beni have announced measures to protect health workers from attacks after a number of incidents where response teams were assaulted. CONTINUE READING 

No comments:

Post a Comment